Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Board of Directors


After reading Brian J. Nichols' post Who's In Your Starting Five? I thought back to a paper I wrote in graduate school for a leadership class I took for my administrators license. I named the paper, My Board of Directors. In the paper I discussed the people I try to surround myself with and who I would have sit on my board for my company, my life. That was in 2007. Since then many things have changed in my life. My board has changed for the good, and for the bad during this time, yet there have been a few constant members

As Brian points out in his blog, there are two groups you can surround yourself with. There are the face time people, the people in your life you see day to day at work, home, on the weekends, or for holidays. The second group is the people you surround yourself with in your PLN. I'm a twitter junkie. I can't wait to see what my PLN is going to share, teach, or challenge me with next. I've been a tweep for two years now, and I have learned to follow people that have a bottom line of, What Is Best For Kids! Early on in my twitter career as soon as someone new was following me, I followed them. I wanted to follow in return to make people happy and try to get more followers. I learned that just like in real life it is important to surround yourself with people who will challenge, support, and demand the best from you.

So who do you surround yourself with? Do you surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself? Do you surround yourself with people who will tell you that you are wrong, when you are wrong? Do you surround yourself with people that might ask you to step outside of yourself and see things from a different lens?

Take a piece of paper and write down the names of the people in your life or your PLN that you would consider your board of directors and ask yourself these questions. I know who my people are in my day to day life, as well as in the virtual world. It makes me feel good that they are there for me and pushing me to be better everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment