Sunday, May 1, 2011

28.5

Day 4 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge:

There are twenty eight and a half days of school left for my district as of tomorrow. Where did the school year go? It has been a very interesting year to say the least. It has been a year of turbulence at my school, but through the ups and downs, I have stayed true to my vision of what education should be for my students. This year has been a year of self directed, real word application, investigation, creativity, and voice for my students. It has been a year of finding my voice with administration, teachers, students, and community to ensure that we are moving forward, and not reverting to the safety of what we have always done.

Growth includes frustrations as well as celebrations. This year I have had my fair share of frustrations. I have experienced outlash from the community over new teaching practices and theory. I have felt push back from students who are regurgitating dinner table conversation. Frustrations have occurred from lack of urgency and follow through with coworkers who hope school stays the way it always has because it is safe that way. I have been frustrated financially as the state of Wisconsin has turned their back on the public sector and vilified teachers as the cause of financial strife in the state. These are frustrations, but they cannot hold me back from my vision and continued push to make education what it should be, relevant.

There have been many celebrations this year as well. I have a group of 26 kids for a second year. I have witnessed their growth both academically and socially since fifth grade. They no longer ask questions like, "How do I .....?" instead they come to me and say, "Mr. Reuter, I was thinking, we should investigate...." I can celebrate the fact that I have made so many connections globally. I have expanded my professional learning network two fold since this time last year. Daily, I have communications with some of the brightest minds in education, and I am grateful to all of these relationships I have forged.

So, 28.5 days left, so many days to still make a difference in my students, colleagues, and friends lives. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment