Thursday, May 19, 2011

Conversation

Day 20 of 30 Day Blog Challenge:

How often do you truly have conversation with your students or kids? We might talk about school, or we talk about curriculum topics. This morning I spent the first 15 minutes of math discussing family vacations. I asked my kids what they were doing this summer. I wanted to know where and what they were doing. Many could not wait to share the trips their families have planned. After talking about our summer plans, I asked this question, "What did you get for number one?" Silence.

Too often we get wrapped up in the curriculum, three R's, standardized tests, etc in education and we forget the part I think is the most important, social growth. Here is a question for all of you to ponder; have you ever met a person who is brilliant, but can't hold a two minute conversation with a living being? I have. I often start the day by asking my students what they had for dinner last night. We have an open dialogue about non school topics. I see how these conversations overlap into our school related conversations. The students find their voice and are more confident to talk about school related topics after they have spoken with the class about topics they are experts on.

Take the time to talk to kids about what they want to talk about. Too often adults steer the conversations. Let the children be the leaders. You will probably learn something in the process. I do.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Chris. It reminds me of the Needs Assessment survey results we reviewed recently. Kids are yearning for caring communication.

    ReplyDelete